Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Outside the Lines

  1. #1
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Outside the Lines

    I was wondering if anyone caught OTL on ESPN. They were discussing scholarship athletes receiving subsidized(sp) housing for free, or little payment. Thus allowing them to collect their housing stipend, and normally using it for whatever they want, instead of actual housing. The two schools noted was VT, and Nebraska, although I am sure alot of others probably have the same thing going on.

    Justin Hamilton was intervewed and talked about how he was able to use the money on video games, gas, and etc.

    I find this to be a really poor situation considering the type of families and such who are trying to find this type of home, and truly need it. While the scholarship athletes do have an alternative in dorm rooms.

    I wondered if anyone else has seen this, and what their thoughts may be.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Shoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2002
    Posts
    1,620
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Outside the Lines

    Yeah I caught it on a few nights ago. It's pretty sad. Didn't they say something like if they lived on campus that wouldn't get any money or something? But if they lived off campus they were given $500 a month.
    "Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Outside the Lines

    Yeah, something a little over $500 which is called a housing stipend for the payment of rent, which covers them just like they were in the dorm, and the money was going toward their room & board.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #4
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Outside the Lines

    I seen it and its kind of a lose/lose situation. Some of the players are just as financially burdened as other people which is what makes it a difficult situation.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  5. #5
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Outside the Lines

    It is really not a lose/lose situation. The players have an opportunity to live in a dorm that is payed for.

    The single mothers, and etc do not have another option. This is a win for the scholarship athlete, and a loss for the homeless.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  6. #6
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Outside the Lines

    Yes, but how will the players afford to eat, buy clothes and all the other necessities without the $500 a month, which is not enough to really do anything anyway.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Outside the Lines

    How many do you think are using it for that? At least Justin is being honest, and saying it will go toward the things that make the day go by, instead of needs. I am sure they most are able to scratch out enough to get by through their families to make it without the money. They are already recieving a college degree for free.

    Now, I do think athletes in college do deserve some money because of how much the schools make off of them. But this is the taxpayers double paying for their residence essentially.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  8. #8
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Outside the Lines

    I dont really know...
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  9. #9
    Inactive Member gcdevil22's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2004
    Posts
    5,129
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Outside the Lines

    you cant live in the subsidized housing unless you qualify for subsidized housing...all of those on the football team who live in the housing qualify for the assisstance...those places are better than dorms, so can you blame them for wanting to live there??
    "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Monkeyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 2004
    Posts
    1,459
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Outside the Lines

    In my opinion what really needs to happen is for the players to live on campus, and they should be paid monthly from what the school earn's from games. They should get a certain amount for the non televised games and a little more for televised. Smaller schools that get no tv coverage will complain, but they are not the ones entertaining millions of people on Saturdays.
    crack is whack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •